Ube is everywhere these days and you can find this Filipino staple in just about everything from breads and cakes to your favorite breakfast foods! Not only is it a unique flavor but anything touched by ube turns into a purple masterpiece, which is especially fun for kids. Try making these amazing ube pancakes and bring some fun to your breakfast table.
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup frozen grated ube, cooked and mashed
- ½ teaspoon ube essence
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil melted
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Honey or Maple Syrup
- Non-stick fry pan or electric griddle
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or whisk
- Measuring cups and spoons
- In the mixing bowl, combine flour and baking soda and stir to combine. Then add egg, milk, ube essence, ube and melted coconut oil and stir until just smooth.
- Heat up the fry pan or griddle to medium-high. Melt a small amount of coconut oil in the pan once hot and spoon in desired portion of batter.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until bubble appear on surface of the pancake. Flip, and continue cooking for another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Serve with a pat of butter and honey or maple syrup.