A trip to IKEA is not complete without a stop at their budget-friendly yet delicious cafeteria, amirite? The IKEA Swedish Meatballs have quite a fan base and for good reason — they’re delicious! Not only can you enjoy them piping hot from the cafeteria, but you can also purchase a frozen package to take home and enjoy later. With many IKEA stores temporarily closed, the chain recognizes that we might be missing those iconic meatballs. Luckily for us, they have now released the coveted recipe so we can make them in the comfort of our own home!
“We know that some people might be missing our meatballs, which is why we’ve released an at-home alternative which, using easily accessible ingredients, will help those looking for some inspiration in the kitchen,” says Lorena Lourido, IKEA’s country food manager in the UK and Ireland. “Staying at home can be hard, but we want to help make everyone’s lives that little bit easier and more enjoyable. Bon appétit or, smaklig måltid, as we say in Sweden!”
But wait it gets better. To make sure you get your IKEA fix, they even released the recipe with step-by-step illustrated instructions in a true IKEA style.
https://twitter.com/IKEAUK/status/1252269467515617280/photo/1 Source: IKEA
Alright, on to the recipe! If you make them we want to know how they turned out. Let us know in the comments below!
- 500 grams (1.1 pounds) ground beef
- 250 grams (slightly more than ½ pound) ground pork
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp. of whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine beef and pork mince and mix thoroughly to break up any lumps. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into small, round balls. Place on a clean plate, cover and store in the fridge for 2 hours (this will help them hold their shape while cooking).
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add your meatballs and brown on all sides.
- When browned, add to an ovenproof dish and cover. Place in a hot oven, 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius, and cook for a further 30 minutes.
These meatballs are not complete without the iconic cream sauce! IKEA also graciously shared the instructions to prepare it. Let’s dive into that next.
- Dash of oil
- 40 grams (1.4 ounces) butter
- 0 grams (1.4 ounces) plain flour
- 150 ml (5 fluid ounces) vegetable stock
- 150 ml (5 fluid ounces) beef stock
- 150 ml (5 fluid ounces) thick double cream
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Whisk in the plain flour and continue cooking, stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and beef stock and continue to stir. Add the thick double cream, soy sauce and Dijon mustard.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. Continue to stir.
- When ready to eat, serve with your favorite potatoes -- either creamy mash or mini new boiled potatoes. Enjoy!
IKEA isn’t the only brand sharing their coveted recipe with their fans. Disney also unveiled a few fan-favorite recipes from Churro Bites, Dole Whip, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, and Cookie Fries. It only leaves us wondering, what will be next?!
Have you ever gone out for supper, eaten the best food you could think of and then crave it for weeks to come?
Summer is officially here and what better way to treat yourself and stay cool than with a refreshing beverage in hand!
We might be right in the middle of a blazing hot summer but if you find yourself missing everything about fall then we have...
Merry Christmas... in July?! Yes, Mars, Incorporated wants to get you in the holiday spirit early this year!
Every day will feel like your birthday when you enjoy a Funfetti treat!
Every coffee lover knows that there is nothing quite like starting your morning with a delicious cup of coffee to get your day...
Ice cream is one of the best treats to enjoy in the summer. It's sweet, refreshing and there is virtually a flavor for everyone!
Fairlife is renowned for its wide range of better-for-you products like their ultra-filtered milk which features 50 percent more...
Mmm... is there anything more delicious than chicken parm? It's perfectly crispy on the outside with tender chicken on the inside...
This year has proven to be the year of the tiger! Earlier this year, Netflix's American true-crime documentary miniseries, 'Tiger...
IKEA is renowned for its modern, affordable furniture but they also offer delicious food.
Chipotle Mexican Grill is committed to serving its guests fresh meal items and is dedicated to sourcing ingredients from ethically...